Emergency Planning

What If something happens to you, which means you are unable to look after your loved one?

An emergency counts as any unplanned event, such as:

  • Sudden illness
  • Unplanned admission to hospital
  • Family emergency (e.g. close relative taken ill)
  • Risk to employment
  • Had an accident or car has broken down

Find out about the emergency scheme available in your area below.


If the person you look after lives in Cambridgeshire you can register a ‘What If? Plan’ with us. The What If? service operates 24 hours a day throughout the year. It can provide urgent support to the person you care for, in the event of you being unable to care.

This is a free service funded by Cambridgeshire County Council, to look after adults with care needs during an emergency involving their family carer. This is done by getting in touch with your nominated contacts for you, with back-up support available, if essential.

Find out more


If the person you look after lives in Peterborough and you provide regular and substantial care, you can register for a separate emergency scheme run by Peterborough City Council.  Please call 01733 747474 and ask for the Emergency Support for Carers service or visit the Peterborough City Council website for more information and to register.


If the person you look after lives in Norfolk, you can register for a Carer’s Emergency Card to ensure that the person will be safe if you are caught up in an emergency.

Find out more

What you said

  • I appreciate knowing that after one telephone call something happens, as you are speaking to a person not automatic voice. Everyone is pleasant & helpful. The staff can manage a variety of topics.

    Adult Support client
  • What I value most is just the knowledge that there is someone I can talk to, ask for help and guidance.

    Adult Support phone client